Vegan Spice Layer Cake
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 ½ cup of all purpose flour
● ½ cup light brown sugar
● ½ tsp salt
● 1 ½ tsp baking powder
● 1/4 tsp baking soda
● 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
● 1 tsp ground ginger
● ½ tsp ground cloves
● ⅛ tsp nutmeg
● ¾ cup chopped dates and walnuts
● ¾ cup applesauce – unsweetened
● ¼ cup vegetable oil
● ½ tsp vanilla
- Grease cake pan lightly. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Mix the flax seed meal with water and set aside. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves and nutmeg. Whisk thoroughly and fold in the date/walnut mix.
- Add the applesauce, flax seed mix, oil and vanilla. Mix to just about combined. If batter is not stiff add flour 1 to 2 tbsp at a time and mix it. Spread batter in a prepared cake pan and smooth for an even top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick from the enter comes out clean.
- Repeat until 2 to 4 rounds are made and cooled.
- Stack layers with truwhip vegan between them and lightly spread truwhip Vegan around the sides.
- If desired you can decorate this cake with gingerbread animals or other holiday shapes. Try adding rosemary trees or sprigs of evergreen!
post your truwhip creations with
we love an empty truwhip tub!
recycle tip #14